Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chaotic Adventures

Our flight home from Minnesota was nothing less than chaotic.  As the plane took off I kept reminding myself that I just had to make it through the next 3 hours.  Three hours isn't all that long unless, of course, you are on an airplane with 3 children with no back up.

I knew things weren't going to be good when Natalie screamed through the entire security process. Thank goodness little Ryan stepped it up.  He got his shoes off and back pack into a bin all by himself without me having to ask, then helped Kendall get her shoes off too!  What a seasoned traveler he is becoming at the age of 4 1/2!  We made it through and found a place to camp while I fed Natalie.  Kendall wasn't too thrilled to sit in her car seat while I was feeding Natalie, but there was no way I was going to let her run until I was finished.  I finally let her loose and she was so happy to stretch those legs.  We hung out and watched planes take off while we waited to board.  My sister Jen and her friend Jill, who were returning from WA for a friend's wedding, met up with us before we had to board our flight.  We were only able to see them for 15 minutes, but it gave me enough time to use the bathroom and get us some snacks.  Something I was so grateful for.

Boarding with three kids and no help was my biggest concern, and proved to be the most challenging part.  The guy behind me wasn't pleased, but I could have cared less.  He could have helped if he didn't enjoy waiting, right?!  The flight attendants WERE helpful, and we got situated pretty quickly.  Natalie screamed through this process, too!

When Kendall fell asleep right before take off I breathed a sigh of relief.  There is nothing worse than an overtired toddler.  When she woke up 15 minutes later, I knew I was in for it.  Her and Natalie basically cried the entire flight.  And when Ryan had to go to the bathroom and started whining right along with them I almost cried.  That's when the lovely lady behind me asked if they could help.  She was more than happy to walk Ryan back to the bathroom for me, and then helped with Natalie when I had to go back and change Kendall's poopy diaper. And did I mention Natalie had a blow-out, too?  She had poop everywhere!  It was one of those days I just couldn't cut a break.

Needless to say, I was beyond happy to touch down safely in Seattle.  Getting off the plane was just as challenging as getting on - with Natalie screaming - but the lovely couple again stepped up to help.  I couldn't have done it without them!

After 2 messy diapers, endless crying, an overtired 4 year old and a ruthless toddler our 3 hour flight seemed like an eternity. But we made it.  And I would do it again in a heart beat to be able to spend another 10 days with friends and family in Minnesota!

No comments:

Post a Comment