Friday, April 25, 2014

Kendall at 4 and a Half

Kendall's 1/2 birthday was/is March 20th. We had a little celebration that day.  It's a simple celebration, more of an acknowledgement really.  The 1/2 birthday celebrant gets to pick dinner and dessert and we sing "Happy 1/2 Birthday To You".  It was Kendall's choice to have "Daddy's" chicken, noodles, and carrots for dinner with Oreo cookies for dessert.

I love acknowledging this milestone with the kids.  It usually is such a turning point in their behavior - for good or bad - and I think it's something worth celebrating.  It also helps me remember that changes are a coming.  I've noticed around Ryan's 1/2 birthday over the years his behavior is pretty darn good, but right around his real birthday I need to take cover.  He turns into an animal, basically.  I find it all so fascinating.  We had this parenting class once about Equilibrium and Disequilibrium happening in kids every six months or so.  Some people don't believe in it, but I'm a firm believer.  There are definitely a changes that happen around here. 

Anyway, back to the birthday girl.  Kendall is proving to be the opposite of her brother.  Around her actual birthday she is just a joy to be around, but takes a turn for the worse around her 1/2 birthday. She is a sensitive kid in general, but it's like she has exposed nerve endings these days.  Every little thing is SUPER MAJOR and the tears flow like waterfalls about the tiniest things.  To say she is testing our patience is an understatement.  It's new territory for us, too.  She has been so easy going up until this point.  We realize she's just trying to express herself, but trying to help her navigate through this stage is frustrating.  It will be interesting to see where we'll be when we come out of this.  I feel four is such a huge year for kids.  I'm hoping we are giving her the tools to express herself with confidence.





No comments:

Post a Comment