Monday, August 23, 2010

My First Triathlon

I completed my first triathlon on Sunday, August 15th.  It was an amazing experience, to say the least. 

My friend Amy, who is amazing, decided she wanted to check this off her "bucket list".  I met Amy when I was training for my marathon nearly 3 years ago.  I was out running the neighborhood one morning and she caught up to me, and asked me if I wanted to run with her sometime.  We've been working out in the early mornings (before the kids get up) ever since.  And there was no way I was going to let her train for this by herself.  We had so much fun, and I fell in love with my workouts that did not involve running!  The swimming and biking were so refreshing. 

I was sick the week before the race, so didn't feel ready at all.  And I was nervous about the logistics of it all.  A triathlon is so different than a running race.  There is actual gear involved...a swimsuit, a bike and transitions!  It was all very intimidating to me.

The Danskin Triathlon is a women's only event, and we learned that the race in Seattle is one of the largest triathlons in the world!  Of course, I would chose this one.  Me.  The person who hates crowds and congestion!  There were 4,000 female participants of all shapes, sizes and ages.  What an amazing experience, and I am so glad I chose this one!

Since there were so many competitors they started groups - called waves - every four minutes.  I was in wave 24, so didn't start until an hour after the first group took off.  This gave us a chance to watch the sunrise and the start of the race.  The elite athletes were the first to go, and were so impressive to watch zip through the water.  The cancer survivors were next.  By the time we headed back to get ourselves ready I was in tears.  It was pretty emotional.



When it was all said and done, I completed a 1/2 mile swim, a 12 mile bike ride and a 3.2 mile run in 1 hour and 47 minutes on a beautiful Sunday morning!

Thanks Amy, for being such an inspiration and an awesome work out buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment