Monday, May 3, 2010

Spirited

A few weeks ago someone described Ryan as "spirited" when I was venting my frustrations about him.  I would classify him as "difficult", but "spirited" sounds much nicer.  I've been thinking about that a lot this week as I'm dealing with my very "spirited" child. 

When I wasn't looking, someone must have taken him to a class on "how to push your mother's buttons"...and he must have passed with flying colors! 

Three days last week he had hour long crying fits.  Each one started for the same reason.  I told him, "No".  No, we can't go outside because it's raining.  No, you can not play your Leapster AGAIN.  No, you can not have a treat until you try what is on your plate.  So, the crying (more like screaming) continued for hours until he finally realized I wasn't budging.  Then he'd come out happy as can be, with a "sorry, Mommy" and then he'd decide to give it another try.  And then more crying...because I wasn't budging.. I don't know how many times I said, "No means No". 

I seriously do not understand how he knows how to push and push until he's gotten me to the same frustration point as he is....and I want to have a tantrum myself.  Seriously.  I can feel my hair turning gray.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I can so relate! He's three and a half and it sounds like the whole reason they invented the phrase trying threes. Good job not budging, that is key. Hang in there, it really is just a phase.
    Love the new design:)

    ReplyDelete