Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Escape Artist

Ryan's new favorite pastime is baseball.  He would sit and watch the Mariner's every night if I let him.  And every time I let him watch the game, he asks if we can GO to the game.

We took the opportunity to go on Friday while Grandpa Ken and Grandma Sue were visiting.  It was a beautiful evening, so it was meant to be!

 
During the middle of the 4th inning David decided to take Grandpa Ken and Ryan down to the play area so Ryan could run off some energy, and hopefully run into the Mariner Moose.  It was Friday night, and the play area was a lot buiser than they were used to.  We typically go during the middle of the week, when crowd is much smaller.  They were actually having the kids go in and out in 15 minute shifts.

When Ryan's shift was up, David waited at the end of the slide for him so he could help him get his shoes on.  David waited and waited and waited, and NO RYAN.  He turned to check the shoe area and Ryan's shoes were GONE!  Panic set in.  David regrouped and figured Ryan was with Grandpa Ken, but HE WASN'T.  He'd gotten past him, too.

Now the panic really set in.  David told an usher right away that he needed help, and she got on her radio instantly sending out a description of the little red head.  Ryan was no where in sight.  Grandpa stayed in the play area while David took off to search the concourse, and finally got word that Ryan was with another usher quite a few sections down.  Whew.

When David got to Ryan his face was white, so he was obviously shaken by the incident...which is not a bad thing.  He told David, "I got scared, Daddy and Match (we think that's what he's saying) helped me". 
 

All three of them were visibly shaken when the got back to our seats.  All I have to say is that I am so thankful I wasn't with them.  I would have been hysterical.

And thankfully, an important lesson was learned by all!

My theory on the situation is this:  When they were ushering the kids in and out Ryan got wrapped up in the commotion and didn't even think to look for David (hopefully next time he will).  He did this to me at swimming lessons a couple months ago.  The kids would sit in the hot tub for 5 minutes after their lesson. then all exit the pool together and head to the locker room.  Ryan just followed the crowd instead of waiting for me.  He ended up in the men's locker room...with me trailing behind unaware I was heading into the men's locker room (nice!).  After explaining to him that this was not cool, he got it and waited for me the next time.  Anyway, I think this is what happened on Friday...only on a much grander scale.  Thankfully we found him right away, but we are all still shaken by the incident.  

There is definitley never a dull moment with that boy...


No comments:

Post a Comment