Our second road trip to Minnesota in 6 months went well, with only one stretch of bad weather and one small snafu. The trip from Butte to Billings through a blizzard. And when we landed in Beach, ND Sunday evening to stretch our legs and eat dinner the car decided it was too cold to restart. What?! I started to panic, but David kept his cool. He asked someone to give us a jump. When that didn't work I really started to panic even more. What were going to do? Where were going to stay? Beach is a tiny town. I was certain they'd have an Inn, but no taxi to get us there. It was -25 degrees with the windchill, there was no way we'd be able to walk. The wonderful man who helped us suggested we leave our battery on his charge for 15 minutes. The kids and I went inside to warm up, play cards and color. After 20 minutes David returned to tell us it worked. Thank God. After about an hour delay, we loaded back up and got the heck out of Beach! We made it to Bismark, ND that evening.
I hadn't thought about the small detail of having to get up in the middle of the night to start the car when planning our trip. Oh, the joys of below zero temps! I completely forgot about this. I think it's a clear sign I've been living out of Minnesota for too long. David and I took turns getting up, and we survived. It was cold but the car started every time.
We arrived at Tulaby Lake just after noon to very cold temps, but the cabin was warm and cozy and we were so happy to be there!
![]() |
| I got us lost navigating the back roads of Minnesota. As we made our second U-turn David spotted 2 moose crossing the road. MOOSE! I have never seen a moose in Minnesota before. |

No comments:
Post a Comment